Re: Bridged Network Question

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 03:09:48PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:

I have been using an old laptop as an Access Point for our laptops to
connect to the internet through the main box -> modem connection.
The Lan (eth0) is bridged with a Netgear WG511U PCMCIA card (ath0) to
connect to the gatway computer.

It works fine, as an AP, but has one problem.  The AP itself can not
connect to the internet through the gatway.  The only way to update
the AP's software is to change /etc/network/interfaces from the
bridged setup to just a Lan setup, reboot, do the update/upgrade,
change the interfaces file back to the bridged mode and reboot again.

Do you have an IP address associated with the bridge? Setting an IP on one of the network cards won't work if they're bridged -- it has to be on the bridge interface.