Re: ifup fails but iwconfig and dhclient works?

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 00:20:08 +0200, pizzapie_linuxanchovies wrote:

> Under Etch, I did the make, make install, and modprobe of the driver
> without problems.
>
> But here's the problem:
>
> $sudo ifup rausb0
-- snip

> Whenever this happens, I fail to get a DHCP offer.  I believe these
> messages are coming from a component of Debian rather from driver code
> written by the serialmonkey group, because I grep'ed for these messages
> in all the *.c source files of the serialmonkey driver, and didn't find
> them.  Then I realized these errors were occurring in response to this
> stanza of my /etc/network/interfaces:

-- snip

> So instead, I tried issuing the iwconfig commands manually: $ sudo
> iwconfig rausb0 essid (deleted) $ sudo iwconfig rausb0 mode Managed
> $ sudo iwconfig rausb0 channel 2
> $ sudo iwconfig rausb0 key (deleted)
>
> Got no errors from these iwconfig commands, so then I tried:
>
> $ sudo dhclient rausb0
>
> Now I finally got my DHCP offer!
>
> So why does ifup fail but doing all the steps "manually" succeeds?  I
> can't believe the order of the iwconfig commands matters?  Could it be
> something to do with the environment created by the "sudo" command?  I
> just can't fathom what changed between Sarge and Etch to give me this
> problem.
>
> I've been hitting my head against the wall for a few days on this
> wireless thing.  Thanks in advance for any ideas!

 Check to see if "Network-Manager" is installed.  If it is, un-install it.
 I had the same problem with my Atheros based card & no matter how much
 dickering, tweaking & whatnot, nothing seemed to work - couldn't
 establish a DHCP offer.  After removing "Network-Manager", things worked
 - I've now read that there are issues with this particular app - it
 seems to work for some & doesn't for others.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

   ~A~

--
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to
recognize a mistake when you make it again.