Re: sound does not work with Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R)

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 10:54:31 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 07:06:59PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > Try to run:
> >
> > udevtrigger -v --subsystem-match=sound
> >
> > or modprobe the sound modules manually.
> >

> wouldn't
>
> /etc/init.d/alsa reload
>
> work as well?

It did not work when I tried it. Here is a snippet from /etc/init.d/alsa
(alsa-utils 1.0.14-1):

case "$1" in
  unload)
        unload_modules all || exit $?
        ;;
  reload)
        EXITSTATUS=0
        unload_modules all || EXITSTATUS=1
        load_unloaded_modules || EXITSTATUS=1
        exit $EXITSTATUS
        ;;

The first part is fine: alsaconf calls "/etc/init.d/alsa unload", which
unloads all sound modules and saves a list of the module names in
/var/run/alsa/modules-removed (if /var/run/alsa/ exists). The problem is
that unload_modules starts out by zeroing the list of modules whenever
it is called (:> /var/run/alsa/modules-removed). Therefore, if you run
"/etc/init.d/alsa reload" while no sound modules are loaded then it will
generate an empty list of removed modules and then it will proceed to
reload every single module on that list. Just try this on an up-to-date
Sid: Do an alsa "unload" followed by a "reload". [1][2]

The old version of alsaconf did "modprobe $DRIVER" directly which worked
as long as it managed to figure out the correct name of the main sound
module. Now it calls the alsa startup script with the undefined action
"restart" and you get the error that Raju reported. However, "reload"
would not work either.

[1] I dare you, I double-dare you!

[2] I just realized that udevtrigger with the subsystem match does not
    work reliably to reload the sound modules on my system. I have to
    run udevtrigger without this option to get the modules loaded again.

          Florian   |