Re: dpkg purge problem

Sasho Angelov wrote:
> Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done
>      And stop here. Only I can do is to press Ctrl+C

That is running update-grub.  You should be able to run that command
manually.

  sudo update-grub

If that hangs (hopefully it will) then you can debug from that point.
It is a shell script and so the following command would useful.

  sudo bash -x /usr/sbin/update-grub

> /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.14-2-k7.list is empty file

That .list file should not be related.

> What to do???

Did your /boot/grub/menu.lst file become corrupted?  If so then move
it out of the way (so that you have a saved copy) and then run
update-grub manually.  Seeing no file there it will offer to create
one for you automatically.

  sudo mv /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.corrupted
  sudo update-grub

Then carefully compare and configure the 'kopt' and 'groot' sections.
Those would have been set up automatically by the installer.  Because
my suggestion creates a new file without the installer those options
need to be set correctly.

  diff /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.corrupted
  sudo editor /boot/grub/menu.lst
  sudo update-grub

After fixing and running update-grub inspect the file.  If update-grub
runs without hanging then you should be able to purge the package.

If all else fails and a package simply will not pass the prerm or
postrm scripts then a reach-into-the-guts of the system approach is to
edit the /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.14-2-k7.prerm and/or
/var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.14-2-k7.postrm files and hack them
to exit(0); so as to avoid the error.  At that point dpkg will succeed
without running the script.  But it won't have run the script either
and so that problem would need to be dealt with but some broken
packages have required this.

Bob