Re: Swap configuration for 16GB of RAM, 8 cores

hello,

On 7/31/07, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 07/31/07 15:18, agenkin@gmail.com wrote:
> > What are the current best practices with regards to swap partitions?
> > Is it
> > better to create one big, or several smaller swap partitions?  Is the
> > rule
> > of thumb still RAM*2 for the total size?

i dropped the "rule of thumb" advices for swap long ago. usually i
watch load (uptime), htop and free as closely as possible (let it mail
to you about every 30 minutes the first few weeks) and decide how much
swap you need.

i know these are really basic tools (especially free only reporting
specific points in time) but they are available everywhere and usable
everywhere. once you got used to initially calculating the stats by
hand it's not that bad at all. monitoring software can be added later
on when everything runs stable.

> Create swap *files* instead.  See "man mkswap" for the technique.
> Put them on /.

personally I stay with LVM. I found it a lot easier to manage
(probably just being a habit) as it is the _single_ source of storage
for me (as in I try to avoid using other storage techniques as loop
mounting, swap files in this case, yadda yadda as much as possible)

hth
martin