Re: Using Wine to do my Tax (Australia)

On 07/30/2007 05:35 AM, Keith Bates wrote:
Hi,
I wonder if anyone using the Australian Taxation Office's infamous
e-tax package has been able to get it going under wine.

I'm using debian testing and have just downloaded wine from the
repository. I've configured wine (mostly using the defaults) and
tested it running notepad and the winfile file manager.

I've downloaded the e-tax 2007 package from
http://ato.gov.au/content/downloads/etax2007/etax2007_1.exe

I installed the application successfully, but after completing the
first page and pressing "Next" I got the following error message:

Error saving data: Access violation at address 0055521C in module
'etax2007.exe'. Read of address 00000008

I've made sure that every folder and file in my .wine folder has 777
permissions, but I still get the error.

I've done a search of both the wine site and the internet but haven't
been able to find a solution.

Does anyone know how to get the program to work? Or will I have to
comply with the ATO's "Windows only" agenda?

Thanks!

It partially seems to work for me.

I entered a file name and an example TFN on the first screen, and it lets me get into the other screen where I see Michael D'Ascenzo introducing the program. I've visited these pages "Our commitment to you," "Welcome," "Getting around etax" and "Using the navigator in etax."

I'm running under this software:
Debian 3.1 i386
wine 0.0.200503
wine-utils 0.0.200503