Re: lenny: getting non-free nvidia drivers issue

On Sat July 28 2007 14:38, David Fox wrote:
> I'm browsing howto's at the moment and attempting to get the nvidia drivers
> (the non-free ones) the "debian" way.
>
> There doesn't seem to be an avalable version of nvidia-kernel-source for my
> particular kernel (I was running 2.6.18-4-k7, but I just upgraded to
> 2.6.21-2-k7
> a few moments ago. I'm using
> http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/, and
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers as reference documents.
>
> There is also no nvidia-glx in testing. There has been some discussion on
> the list recently regarding some updates to X.org video drivers, which have
> unfortunately caused my existing nvidia setup to no longer work, so
> currently I am using the "nv" driver. From the instructions it would seem
> my current card (Geforce FX 5200) should be supported by the "non-legacy"
> or regular driver.
>
> According to the testing status page (
> http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=nvidia-glx) it would seem
> that testing is waiting for the newer driver package, which seems to be ATM
> availalbe in sid/unstable.
>
> Question - is it "safe" to retry the nvidia driver at this point? Last I
> tried, I ended up with a fairly unusable system and had to renstall most of
> X and go back to using the nv driver.
>
> If that is doable, I figure it would be better to do this the "debian way"
> and although I posted about this before, I probably would want to go ahead
> and add unstable sources to my sources.list and install that way.
>
> Or, I could wait until these are available in testing, but I don't have a
> clue low long that would take. (In a previous thread, it was opined that it
> would only take a few days or so.)
>
> Hints?

I don't know if this is "the debian way" but this is how I do it. I am running
testing with kernel-2.6.22-2-amd64 at the moment but have also run the 2.6.21
kernel until recently along with the nvidia drivers without any issues at
all. There are no pre-built kernel modules in testing or unstable, I build
them with module-assistant.

module-assistant prepare or m-a prepare
module-assistant auto-install nvidia or m-a a-i nvidia

Also install nvidia-glx and nvidia-glx-ia32 if appropriate.
Run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and choose the nvidia driver and set the
rest of it up to your liking. If all goes well (and I'm sure it will) restart
x and you should be good to go.. :)