Re: DVD drive no longer mounts

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 01:01:48PM -0700, D. Kettler wrote:
Sorry in advance for the long post, but I'm trying to provide any
information that might be helpful for diagnosing the problem.

The following is on an existing installation that has worked fine for some
time now.  I recently discovered that my DVD+-R/W drive will not even
mount data discs, shortly after updating my Debian testing installation,
though I am not yet convinced this has anything to dow with the update

What all got updated?  Did you change kernels?  Do you still have the
old one?

It was just a normal apt-get update; apt-get upgrade. I didn't keep track of everything, but I didn't change kernels. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure the update was the problem but it's all that I could think of.

You've only tested with the mount command.  What about a command that
reads disks without trying to mount them, such as cdck?

david@gosroth:~$ cdck -d /dev/hdb
Unable to read TOC because unable to open cdrom '/dev/hdb', reason: No medium found

One thing that actually does work is 'eject /dev/hdb', which of course doesn't have anything to do with reading but it does at least show that it is the right device.

Doug.

Thanks.

--
David Kettler