A question of fonts

Dear all

Can I have a few recommendations please for the best fonts package to use for a desktop machine. The font package I have right now seems to really screw with the legibility of Xmms and even Iceweasel. I'd like to make use of fonts that are available in MS Office (for inter-operability with MS docs I have to process). If it makes any diffs, I typically run either Gnome or Xfce4, on a testing (Lenny) machine.

Thanks for any leads.