Re: dumb question about aAdobe Acrobat....

From: Tommi Asiala <tommi@asiala.info>
To: Michael Fothergill <mikef20000@hotmail.com>
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: dumb question about aAdobe Acrobat....
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 20:52:50 +0300

Hi Michael,

To us to help you with the installing from tarball we would have to know
what you did. Your vague information on that part doesn't help.

OK. I infer from this that there is no deb file and so you have to fart around with the tarball.

I suggest you should try this new thing called "Searching the web". It
can give you nice links to web pages such as:

http://wiki.debian.org/PDFViewers

I suspect the web doesn't say much about it other than Acrobat exists and where you download it. If you go on the Adobe Linux download page it tells you something like

1. Download the tarball.

2. type tar -xvf adobe-overcomplexbloatnowbutfineayearago.tar

after unzipping it and follow the prompts and it will put the executable in the right bit of the file tree and everything will be OK etc.....

It did all this but doesn't work if you run acroread.

It also took me some farting around to figure out which directory it put the acroread executable in so I could run it.

What would be useful is if I could do a magical untar command that would tidy it all up and remove all the directories and junk it created cleanly and then I could start again fresh and see of I could get it to work a second time.

Suggestions on good untar command would be useful.

The alternative is doing some kind of recursive rm command in the directories to get rid of everything and deleting the executable too and starting again.

My fear is I did something that confused it so some kind of permission problem or other voodoo meant that it couldn't see all the bits that it needs to fire up properly.

Thanks,

Michael Fothergill

-Tom

The next generation of Hotmail is here!  http://www.newhotmail.co.uk