Re: with etch, /etc/fstab root not needed?

Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Hmm...  The stock Etch installer still creates the entry.

I think it is okay if the entry remains.  It may not be strictly
required, as you say, but not going to cause a problem.

> > I don't see an initscript that does this.  Can you point it out?  Or
> > is this something new in Sid but not Etch?
>
> I'm using testing now, but as I remember it was this way also in etch.
> The script is /etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh

Yes.  Thanks for that pointer.  I had missed it.  That is in
'initscripts' and is therefore a standard part of all systems.  I see
by the comments:

  # Mount proc filesystem on /proc
  domount proc "" /proc proc -onodev,noexec,nosuid
  # Called before mtab is writable to mount kernel and device file systems.

It then proceeds to make use of /proc in the script.  So I can imagine
that this needed an explicit action to get through the startup
bootstrapping process.

Bob