Re: Debian newbie..Unable to start X

Ok...So I've tried to run

apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nv xserver-xorg-input-synaptics \
xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse xorg

and it appear like this...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree...Done
xserver-xorg-video-nv is already the newest version.
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics is already the newest version.
xserver-xorg-input-kbd is already the newest version.
xserver-xorg-input-evdev is already the newest version.
xserver-xorg-input-mouse is already the newest version.
xorg is already the newest version.

And then I've tried to use

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg then run /etc/init.d/gdm restart ...
and I got the output

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) VGA(0): v_BIOS address 0x59580 out of range

Backtrace:
0: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x94) [0x1008eb98]
1: [0x100374]
2: [0x8000]
3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libvgahw.so(vgaHWGetIOBase+0x3c) [0xf7ffc70]
4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vga_drv.so [0xf8a3ac4]
5: /usr/bin/X(InitOutput+0xb48) [0x10064ef8]
6: /usr/bin/X(main+0x290) [0x1000252d4]
7: /lib/tls/libc.so.6 [0xfc7e994]
8: /lib/tls/libc.so.6(_libc_start_main+0xb0) [0xfc7ead0]

Fatal sever error:
Caught signal 7. Server aborting

Sorry,what I meant is there any problem with the installation?(not configuration). Thousand Apologies.

Thanks,
Geo

Oleg Verych <for.gmane@flower.upol.cz> wrote:
25-07-2007, Mr Geo:

> I've just started to use Linux.

Congratulations!

> So I try to install Debian 4.0 into Power= Book G4 with the minimal
> base system.

OK, lets assume you don't scare of any shell scripting and text console
tools first, otherwise it will be very hard to yourself and to help you.
You are talking about base system. What do yo mean? AFAIK debian
installer have options like "Desktop", "WEB server", etc. Of course
you can install just a basic set by e.g. debbootstrap, anyway that's
not telling what do you actually have now.

> After installation, I've tried to reboot the PC but it was unable to
> load= into GUI environment(startx). The error was like this:
>
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11. Server aborting.

You were requested to show logs at least. But let me ask again what
set of packages you have ATM? I would suggest to check to install
"xorg" package. It will pull everything to make successful "startx"

I use this set t bring startx to my laptop (with ATI VGA):

apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-input-synaptics \
xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse xorg

> My graphic card is Nvidia GeForce4 440
>
> Is there any problem with my configuration?

(Once again) You didn't show yours :-)

> Thanks,
> Geo
>
> =20
> ---------------------------------
> Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! =
> TV.=20
> --0-340316861-1185324313=:49473
>
> Hi,

I've just started to use Linux. So I try to install Debian 4.0=

=
> Geo

Ready for the edge of your seat?=20
>Chec=
> k out tonight's top picks
on Yahoo! TV.=20

Do send HTML copies. Reconfigure your MUA, please. Thanks.

____