Need help with 'debianized' Mediawiki1.9

I have it installed and running OK. It's setup on etch. I want to add some
extensions and there seems to be a conflict in doing it the way the mediawiki
website says versus debian. In the LocalSettings.php file is this line of
code:

# debian specific include:
if (is_file("/etc/mediawiki-extensions/extensions.php")) {
        include( "/etc/mediawiki-extensions/extensions.php" );

The file in this include does not exist & there are no indications on how it
is supposed to get there. The basic directory /etc/mediawiki1.9/  contains
the apache & cherokee configs only. There is also supposed to be a symlink
from /etc/mediawiki1.9/  to /var/lib/mediawiki1.9/AdminSettings.php which
does not exist.
Note that, to get mediawiki running, I had to create several symlinks that
were not formed when I did the apt install, so there are some issues that are
not resolved with this package.
Any help or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks!
--