source.lis update

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Lorenas Bartkus <lorenasbartkus@yahoo.com>
To: help <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 4:19:14 PM
Subject: Unidentified subject!

----- Original Message ----
From: Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org>
To: Lorenas Bartkus <lorenasbartkus@yahoo.com>
Cc: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:25:14 PM
Subject: Re: new debian user. help :)

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 01:48:58 -0700, Lorenas Bartkus wrote:

> [...]

Hmmm, your quoting is seriously confusing! :-)

Now that you have a working network the real adventure starts ;-)  No,
seriously it's not very complicated at all.  Be aware though that since
you've chosen to install Debian, and a basic system at that there is a
bit of manual work.  Not much, and it's a good learning experience for
the future anyway.

You need to configure the package manager (APT).  You can find full
documentation of how it works online, I think the APT HOWTO [1] is a
good place to start.  Since you downloaded pppoe you have a working
configuration, but it's probably worth getting a little familiar with
APT first (e.g. adding non-free).

     deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

>nothing happened, just said that unknown command for deb. and when i try to man /etc/apt/sources.list it says that it is unable to edit manually.
>by the way all commands i made in root.

Once you have APT set up properly you can start installing packages.
This is the route I usually follow for desktop machines I install (I've
marked the steps that you should run as root with a *):

1. (*)Install and configure the package
      xserver-xorg
2. Test the xorg configuration that was created in the previous step
    running `startx`.  You should see a rather ugly grey screen.
3. (*)Install your pick of desktop environment.  The usual suspects
    have "meta packages" which makes it as easy as installing a single
    package.
      For GNOME install gnome.
      For KDE install kde.
      For XFCE install xfce4
4. (*)Install a desktop manager.  Again there are a few to choose
    between, kdm, gdm, wdm, xdm.  My suggestion is to install gdm if you
    use GNOME of XFCE and kdm if you use KDE.
5. (*)Start the desktop manager.  You do that by executing its "init
    script" with the argument `start`.  E.g. for gdm you execute
    `/etc/init.d/gdm start`.

If you've gotten through all 5 steps without problems you should now
have a shiny screen with a login prompt where you can log in.

Since this is your first Debian install I'd suggest you document what
you do (and as what user you do it, root or your regular user account).
This will help a lot if you, heaven forbid, run into trouble.  If you
get stuck then don't hesitate to send an email to the mailing list.  Be
courteous and provide as much relevant information as you can.  The more
effort you spend on finding a solution yourself the better your chances
are of receiving help on the mailing list.  (Communicating on the
mailing list is rather simple really, write emails that you would reply
to if you knew the answer/solution. :-)

/M

[1]: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html#contents

--
Magnus Therning                             (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com