Re: Network Interfaces

On Sun July 22 2007 14:10, Telly Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	What concept am I missing?
>
> 	If I have my laptop connected to the computer through an ethernet, if I
> switch it to a USB port, how do I have the OS pick it up?  It seems that I
> have to have the computer installed with whatever interface that I plan to
> use.  Am I making any sense?

I have never used usb but I do use a wireless pcmcia card in my laptop. It
just needs an entry in /etc/network/interfaces to work. Mine looks like
this..

-- /etc/network/interfaces --

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug ath0
iface ath0 inet dhcp
	wpa-ssid Homenet
	wpa-psk secretpassword

-- end --

I suspect usb networking also needs an entry in there..