Re: web page accessibility :: PDF and print versions

My web site includes links to documents in PDF format.  Because of
length, the documents are set in a 10-point font, with footnotes in an
8- or 9-point.

I am attempting to accommodate visitors with impaired vision, by
generating a HTML version of each PDF document, in order to enable a
visitor to enlarge the type via the browser.

But sometimes a visitor needs to be able to print out hardcopy for
reading off-line.  I do not know to specify the font size used in the
print version of a HTML document.  What is the mechanism?  Does a
browser access a default style sheet for printing?

Assuming you are talking about wanting to print the HTML version of the page, include a snippet of CSS with the '@media print' rule in it in the <head> of the document. If you don't use CSS anywhere else in the document the following should be all you need (test it however, to ensure that it works as intended.)

@media print {
body { font-size:xx; }
}

Replace 'xx' with the size you desire. I suggest starting with '2em' and working up from there.

If you're talking about the PDF then the user will have to do that on their end. As has been stated already, without creating new versions there isn't any way I know of to do it.