Re: Set up LAN DNS server

rocky wrote:
> 1, To make is serve as the Internet Name Resolution I make the Debian
> Desktop's /etc/resolv.conf only have one line "nameserver 127.0.0.1"

I suggest using the 'resolvconf' package.  It creates a framework to
manage /etc/resolv.conf when interfaces come online and go offline.
Read the /usr/share/doc/resolvconf/README* files for information.

> $$$$----------db.mxoffice.in---------begin------------------$$$$$$$$
> $TTL 86400
> mxoffice.in.            IN     SOA    woody.mxoffice.in.
> rocky.mxoffice.in. (
>                    2007071558     ; Serial no., based on date
>                         21600     ; Refresh after 6 hours
>                          3600     ; Retry after 1 hour
>                        604800     ; Expire after 7 days
>                          3600     ; Minimum TTL of 1 hour
>                       )
> rockyLaptop          IN     A       192.168.1.19
> woody                 IN     A       192.168.1.55
> @                     IN     NS      woody
> ;@                     IN     MX      10 woody
> www                   IN     CNAME   woody
> ;ftp                   IN     CNAME   woody
> woody                 IN     CNAME   @
> $$$$----------db.mxoffice.in---------end------------------$$$$$$$$

NS entries should be fully qualified and end with a dot.  Also you
need records for the raw domain name.  Let me suggest the following.
I put this together pretty quick and so double check it but it should
be better than you have at this moment.

$TTL 86400
@  IN  SOA  woody.mxoffice.in. hostmaster.mxoffice.in. (
                   2007071558     ; Serial no., based on date
                        21600     ; Refresh after 6 hours
                         3600     ; Retry after 1 hour
                       604800     ; Expire after 7 days
                         3600     ; Minimum TTL of 1 hour
                      )
; name servers
		IN	NS	woody.mxoffice.in.
; mxoffice.in records
		IN	MX	20 mail.mxoffice.in.
		IN	A	192.168.1.55
;
localhost	IN	A	127.0.0.1
;
rockyLaptop	IN	A	192.168.1.19
woody		IN	A	192.168.1.55
		IN	MX	10 woody.mxoffice.in.
mail		IN	A	192.168.1.55
www		IN	A	192.168.1.55
ftp		IN	A	192.168.1.55

> $$$$------------db.1.168.192--------begin------------$$$$$$$$$$$
> LIJIANG:/etc/bind# more db.1.168.192
> $TTL 86400
> @                     IN     SOA    woody.mxoffice.in.
> rocky.mxoffice.in. (
>                    2007071558     ; Serial no., based on date
>                         21600     ; Refresh after 6 hours
>                          3600     ; Retry after 1 hour
>                        604800     ; Expire after 7 days
>                          3600     ; Minimum TTL of 1 hour
>                       )
> 19                    IN     PTR     rockyLaptop
> 55                    IN     PTR     woody
> @                     IN     NS      woody
> $$$$------------db.1.168.192--------end------------$$$$$$$$$$$

Similar issues here.  Again double check but let me suggest the
following improvements.

$TTL 86400
@  IN  SOA  mxoffice.in. root.mxoffice.in. (
                   2007071558     ; Serial no., based on date
                        21600     ; Refresh after 6 hours
                         3600     ; Retry after 1 hour
                       604800     ; Expire after 7 days
                         3600     ; Minimum TTL of 1 hour
                      )
; name servers
		IN	NS	woody.mxoffice.in.
;
19		IN	PTR	rockyLaptop.mxoffice.in.
55		IN	PTR	woody.mxoffice.in.

> $$$$4------------Error---begin$$$
>  lover@lover-laptop:~$ nslookup mxoffice.in
> Server:         192.168.1.55
> Address:        192.168.1.55#53
>
> ** server can't find mxoffice.in: SERVFAIL
>
> Did my LAN dns server set up correctly? Does the above nslookup right
> way of testing that out? If any of you could give me some assistance,
> I would really appreciate it?

I believe if you make the above changes that you will be okay for that
lookup now.

Bob