Re: double raid 1 & filesystem

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 08:22:40AM -0700, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> I need more fast-HD space for computational work. I wonder whether by adding a
> second SATA raid1 (a couple of new disks) to the existing SATA raid1, my home
> could be spread on the two raid1 systems, as if it were a single disk (or
> filesystem, if you want).

what exactly is your question here?

yes you can add more disks to your array. but that won't make it
faster. unless you're striping in a non-redundant array
(raid0?). maybe you'r elooking for something like raid10? where you
have striped raid1 devices?

yes you can treat it all as one filesystem.

> At the moment, on the Tyan S2895 Thunder K8WE, with OS Debian amd64 etch, there
> is a raid1 arrangement made with two WD Raptor 150GB each. That affords 100GB
> free space for collecting data. If I had to rely solely on the 150BG of a
> second, new, raid1, space would be insufficient. I need to have 100 + 150GB.
>
> Raptor HDs exist at 150GB max size. On the other hand, 300GB Maxtor initially
> installed proved to be incompatible with the board components, resulting, from
> time to time, in memory corruption. Disks were reconstructed by the raid1,
> though the job was lost. In those instances jobs were already running since ca
> one month.

i like seagate drives. There are several out that come with a 5
year. I've got four 160GB disks in my raid5 array and its working very
well.