raid 1

i'm interested in learning what i need to know to stop using (or reduce my dependence on) 3ware raid cards for mirroring.

i would like to reduce my dependence on proprietary hardware.

some questions to get started:

is it true that with software raid 1 that i cannot have the boot drive protected?  if this is the case what are some work-arounds besides using a 3ware controller for just the boot drive?

can i take a single drive that was part of a mirrored array and attach it to another computer and access the data?

if a hard drive in a mirrored array fails, and i replace the failed drive, will the array auto-rebuild?  and during the rebuild process, can the rebuild be throttled such that the system remains usable while the rebuild occurs?

thanks,
david