Re: Benefits of using aptitude

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> I actually keep wondering why apt-get and aptitude are not merged
> into one (it looks like it good almost be done by just renaming
> aptitude to apt-get).

See http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/06/msg00379.html and the
entire thread. Very interesting. Besides, aptitude does not implement
some of apt-get's functions (source, build-depends, ...).

In my understanding, the devs (of APT and aptitude) are
going towards moving all advanced functions into APT so all
frontends (synaptic, adept, ...) can take advantage of them.

Regards,
Andrei