Re: Set up LAN DNS server

On 7/18/07, David Brodbeck <brodbd@u.washington.edu> wrote:

I'm runing Debian etch with BIND9 on it. I'm following the
aboutdebian.com tutorial on DNS server. I'm intending to set up my
Desktop Debian box as the DNS server for the LAN  dns server and
Internet Name Resolution server(The IP address of the Desktop used in
preffered name server for each work station's TCP/IP configuration)

Just as an FYI, the "dnsmasq" package does a very good job of this and is easier to set up.  Learning how to manage BIND is a worthy goal in its own right, though.

AFAIK, dnsmasq only provides DNS caching services. Whereas the OP is looking to host a local domain - mxdomain.in which can only be done in a full-fledged DNS system such as Bind.

--
- Shashishekhar S