Re: format grep ouput

On 07/15/07 13:40, BartlebyScrivener wrote:
I'm playing with recursive grep. Still fairly new to Etch.

When I grep text files and get a dozen or so results, they print to
the screen as a dense block of text.  I found the color option, which
helps, but is there a way to separate each result with a blank line,
or highlight the file name or something?

I know some Python if I have to pipe it to a Python script.  But I'm
thinking there's some easy pipe I could using just bash and Linux
commands, as this must be a common probelm.

Any piping will eliminate the color. That's what happens, at least, with ls.

It's the nature of the beast that the result set be "all bunched up". All Unix commands presume this bunching up.

Try this.  It's untested but should nudge you in the right direction.

   for i in $(your-grep-command); do echo -e ${i}'\n'; done

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA