post installation problems of Debian Etch in my laptop

On 13/07/07, Sheridan Hutchinson <Sheridan@shezza.org> wrote:
Ok, have you installed laptop-mode-tools, have you installed
acpi-support, have you installed powersaved?  If you haven't then
install them now and *reboot*.  Do your function keys work now?
Yes I did. But still the function keys fro brightness as well as lock
screen doesn't work.

Finally, you probably have compiz v0.2.2 or something similar, it's a
yes its old compiz.

stable release (maybe 18 months away).  Personally, I always put my
machines in testing and leave them there, however that is just a
preference.  Things rarely break, however when they do there is often a
fix that comes through as an update within a few days.  If you want to
If the testing is stable enough I will go for it. I have heard that
Debian testing is stable than Ubuntu releases Is it true? If yes then
I will install the testing. But there is one more problem as I cannot
update my machine for months. As I will be home and my home is in bit
remote place so no proper internet connection.

One more thing that's to do with performance, 'lenny' (testing) has
higher performance, especially graphically because it has an updated
libc6 package, so that is a very good reason to upgrade to testing.
If something gives me higher performance then I am ready to go for it.
Please give me some suggestions.

Kernels and libc6 packages:
Are you using the stock Debian 2.6.18 kernel?  You'll be best off with
the package linux-image-2.6.18-686 if you're using 32-bit etch or
linux-image-2.6.18.686 if you're using 64-bit etch.
I use 64bit only as I use my machine mainly for computations. I have
linux-image-2.6.18-4-amd64 and linux-2.6-amd64-k8-smp.

Anyhow, another performance thing you can do is dependent on whether
you've installed 32-bit etch or 64-etch.  I recommend that if you've
installed 64-bit etch you install the package libc6-amd64 immediately,
or if you've installed 32-bit etch then install libc6-i686 immediately.
I find libc6-i386, libc6, libc6-dev installed in my machine no libc6-amd.

What you need to do is go into nvidia-settings (while in X, KDE, gnome,
etc.) and set the settings 'exactly' how you want them.  Now, this will
create a file in your home directory (just for that user) called:
.nvidia-settings-rc
Use su to login to root and we'll begin.  You need to change directory to:
/etc/X11/Xsession.d

now do:
nano 98x11-startup-local
this file was not there I created it.
and type in the following:
#!/bin/sh
nvidia-settings -l &
now exit and make sure you save the file.
You're almost there.  Now you need to make this file 'executable'.  The
I gave permissions 755. Or should I set it to 744?
That's all there is to it for that.  What I suggest now is that you
reboot and watch when for your settings to be loaded automatically now
Oh! this works a special thanks for this. Brightscreen technology had
screwed my eyes I could not sit more than 2 hours in front of my
lappi. I am very happy now :)

Next, I have a nvidia card using the lastest nvida driver from
I too have the latest driver from nvidia site.
Change to root, then change directory to:
/etc/X11/

do:
nano xorg.conf

Section "Device"

and in here you'll have at some point
Driver "nvidia"
Option "NoLogo" "true"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
Option "BackingStore" "true"

Close nano, remembering to save your changes.  I suggest that at this
point you reboot, and review your results in X, and compiz.
Nvidia logo took lot of time that is stopped now. Compiz still
consumes processor and also sometimes freezes the machine.

Let me know how you get on, if something has worked, great, if something
still doesn't work, let me know and I'll do my best to find you a solution.
After installation acpi-tools when I pressed suspend fn key, a window
popped up and said to enable SUSPEND2RAM_FORCE=yes I did that and
rebooted and pressed fn key for suspend machine got suspended but
after restarting I just got a blank screen.

I don't mind helping, however I just have one request, if you find
something works as a result of my suggestions, post back to the
debian.user list you asked for help on with what worked.  Feel free to
quote me and anything I've said in your post.  I would like you to do
this so that it will help others.  Although I read the list, I currently
don't have the ability to post to it directly as I read it through Usenet.
Surely I will do that. This is the basic reason and necessity for
existence of free software :)

Thanks a lot for your help with such a great enthusiasm :).

Regards
--
G V Manu

--