[OT] ip vs. ifconfig

Hello,

recent digging around in several network setups and the corresponding
google searches lead me to several sites suggesting that "ifconfig" is
deprecated in favor of "ip" (package iproute).

Now personally I found several advantages using ip over ifconfig

* with ip you don't need aliases to assign additional IP Addresses to interfaces
* ip also handles routing and i found it to be
 * easier to use
 * much more powerfull (ip route add 10.0.0.0/24 via 192.168.0.1 src
192.168.0.25 dev tun0 - how do you do that with ifconfig/route? - note
that may have syntax errors as written from memory but the general
idea still applies)

Seeing everybody still use ifconfig, is the info accurate (ifconfig
being deprecated) or is that just some rant?

thanks
martin