Re: udev at boot

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:47:06 +0200
Lucio Crusca <lucio@sulweb.org> wrote:

> Hello *,
>
> I'm fighting with a problem that comes up sometimes at reboot with Etch.
> Sometimes the system hangs on the message:
>
> "Waiting for /dev to be fully populated..."
>
> but some other times it works and the boot process continues normally.
>
> Searching with google I could realize this is related to udev, but I don't
> know how to debug what udev does at that early stage. I'd need to figure
> out what's the udev child process that never finishes or, alternatively,
> what piece of hardware udev can't initialize.
>
> Do you know if there are any boot parameters to pass to udev in order to
> have a detailed output if what's going on there?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Lucio.

Hi Lucio.

Well, you need to see more output?

The tree programs needed at boot time are this:

/sbin/udevd --daemon
/sbin/udevtrigger
/sbin/udevsettle

If you run the first in debian could be fail because debian
checks a lot of things (/etc/init.d/udev)
but if you run the raw command /sbin/udevd --daemon
at the rc script  this will give you the output that you need.
I think that there is a funcion in the  rc script that hides
all the output to the console.

Best,
Orestes.