Re: Cannot connect to network anymore

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 01:07:19AM +0200, Mitja Podreka wrote:

In the last few days I cannot connect to network with my laptop anymore.
It is a dual boot and in windows everything works fine. In Debian it
doesn't work anymore. I use Etch.

As I have no idea where to start I'm asking for help and sending some
information about what computer says:

klopotec:~# ifconfig

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:08:02:02:96:6F

         inet6 addr: fe80::208:2ff:fe02:966f/64 Scope:Link

klopotec:~# dhclient eth0

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:08:02:02:96:6f

Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:08:02:02:96:6f

Sending on   Socket/fallback

No DHCPOFFERS received.

No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

Can the laptop connect on any other network?  Is it the cable?  Do you
have a connect light on the NIC or on whatever the other end of the
cable goes to?

I have an ADSL connection and for the last two months (since I installed Etch) it was working fine. If I reboot to windows it works fine, when I came back it doesn't work, so I guess it is a software problem in Etch. I have another computer on the same connection running Etch and it also works fine
Do you know the network topography or the IP of the dhcp server?  Can
you ping it from your laptop?  Can you ping anything from your laptop?

I know the IP of DHCP server and I cannot ping anything:
connect: Network is unreachable
It could be a problem with the dhcp server and not with your
laptop.  Do you also control the dhcp server?  What do its logs show.
Do they show a request from your laptop?
If other computer and OS works I guess it is not the problem of DHCP server.

thanks
Mitja