Re: legal notice before local login?

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:59:19PM +0100, Craig Hurley wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to add a legal notice before a user enters their
> password when logging on *locally*.  I've already configured a legal
> notice for users logging in via SSH using "Banner /path/to/legalnotice"
> in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

What about /etc/issue?

It will print before the login prompt.  The difficulty with putting it
between the login prompt and the password prompt is that getty passes
the username (from the login prompt) to the login program that then
asks for the password.  So if that is what you want, you'd have to look
at getting the login program to do it.  There may be a replacement login
program, such as francine, that would allow this.

Doug.