Re: procedure for "abandoned" packages

On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 07:38:00PM -0500, Seb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the appropriate procedure that a normal user can follow when a
> package seems completely abandoned by the maintainer.  By abandoned I mean
> there are no updates in unstable for more than 3 months since the sources
> for the upstream package have a new major version.  Additionally, attempts
> to contact the maintainer have gone unanswered for roughly that time.
> Thanks.

First off, which package?

Second, a few months is nothing, unless there have been release critical
bugs open against the package for that long.  There are pacakges which
have been untouched for years.  If you have tried contacting the
maintainera and have not been successful, you may want to consider
asking for help on the debian-devel list.  Detail how you have tried
contacting the maintainer, what problems/issues you have with the
package, and some potential ways to fix them.  It is very likely that
someone on the debian-devel list will be able to help or at least
provide some more information.

Regards,

-Roberto

--