Re: Cannnot authenticate debian archive packages

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 18:08 -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 12:01:19AM +0200, Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:
> > Today I installed some 30 packages, but got an error message from two of
> > them: samba and swat. They could not be authenticated. I tried to look
> > around for a problem, but I could only find that if I downloaded the
> > files manually, the md5sum was as detailed in /var/lib/apt/lists/
> > security.debian.org_dists_etch_updates_main_binary-amd64_Packages.
> >
> What is the exact error message you are getting?

Using synaptic, I click the "Install" checkbox to mark gui-apt-key
(which I have not yet installed) for installation. A dialog shows
saying

  Warning
  You are about to install software that *can't be authenticated!*
  Doing this could allow a malicious individual to damage or take
  control of your system

  NOT AUTHENTICATED
  + gui-apt-key

The eligible buttons are Cancel and Mark

I noticed only now that in the case of this package, the warning comes
even before downloading the package. Earlier today, when I installed
some 30+ packages, the download ran, but then there was a dialog saying
it had not been able to download two packages. Unfortunately I don't
remember the precise details any more. I think I just let it configure
the downloaded packages, and then clicket "apply" again. At this point
just these two packages were marked for installation (samba and swat)
and probably the behavior from this point on was as now.

Regards, Enrique