Re: Enabling SFTP under Debian 4.0r0

ArcticFox wrote:
I just installed the newest version of Debian and was quite annoyed to discover that neither SSH nor SFTP are enabled after installing. I've gotten SSH to work, but I'm still having trouble with SFTP. Any suggestions?

Are you talking about using them from you system outbound, or inbound to your system?

The relevant packages are:

  openssh-client - Secure shell client, an rlogin/rsh/rcp replacement
  openssh-server - Secure shell server, an rshd replacement
  ssh - Secure shell client and server (transitional package)

So if you only installed the first in the list, you'd only have outbound connectivity. And etc. for the other two, per descriptions.

Also, have you set up any firewall rules? Without specifically changing things, they might prevent some or all inbound connections.

Otherwise, setting up ssh should by default set up sftp, I believe (at least, that's what's happened for me, IIRC).

--
Bob McGowan