Re: Why apache do not respct charset on web page ?

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 10:25:30AM +0200, Vladimir Strycek wrote:
> Kumar Appaiah  wrote / napísal(a):
> >On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 04:46:25AM +0200, Vladimir Strycek wrote:
> >
> >>Installed debian on mine second pc with apache and everything but all
> >>www pages start have the same issue.

> >>but apache do not respect this and i have "?" insted of special characters
> >>on another box where i have gentoo or on windows its workig just fine.
> >>

> >Are you sure it's a HTTP header issue with Apache? Did you try
> >changing the encoding at the client (browser) manually?
> >
> >The meta tag is embedded in a HTML page, so it can't influence the
> >HTTP headers, AFAIK. So, it's either something wrong at the client, or
> >with your Apache config.
> >
> >See AddCharset and AddDefaultCharset in the Apache docs for some
> >hints.
> >
> >HTH.
> >
> >Kumar
> >
> Hi,
>
> it seems that it s problem with apache cause i tried IE and Fire fox on
> 3 different pcs wit the same results, when i change encoding manualy in
> Firefox or IE it works fine... also on another apache installation on
> another linux it working fine without change....

What does Firefox say about the page in View -> Page Information? (does
IE have anything equivalent? Haven't used it for 8 years...)

HTML Meta tags are generally discouraged in favour proper HTTP headers.
If the HTTP header says one thing, and the HTML document says something
else, what's a browser to do?

I suspect that the browsers are getting confused by having both HTTP
headers and html meta tags.... And I wouldn't blame them either :-)

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/