RE: static IP

Hi,

Yes I meant /etc/network/interfaces

I connect the machine to the internet through a gateway. The router is set
at 192.168.1.1 as usual.

I tried ping debian.org and it doesn’t return results.
The device that has the error is an onboard network device, eth0. My
motherboard is ASUS.

However, I plugged another network device, eth1 and the put the same
settings then it worked fine.

I believe it's a compatibility error at debian etch and my motherboard.
Since I had installed debian stable in the past and I didn't have any
problems with the onboard network device

Jeff
About the /etc/init.d/networking restart. Without reboot the machine...
I realized it doesn’t work, it worked only when I first use stop and then
start
/etc/init.d/networking stop
/etc/init.d/networking start

That happens also with postgres.