Re: FileSystem Question

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 09:20:39AM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 09:39:32PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 06/29/07 17:54, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > >It sounds like the Log File System (LFS) that NetBSD is working on, or
> > >the database-style of a mainframe where every 'file' is really a record
> > >in a database where back copies are maintained until the space is
> > >needed.
> >
> > No.  It is file versioning, which OpenVMS has had since the late
> > 1970s.
>
> That's what I meant by "database-style of a mainframe".  It may not be
> an actual database built on-top of a filesystem, but the ideas behind it
> are the same.
>
> >Extremely useful, for every reason that OP mentioned.
> >

> I agree.  How does one implement it under *NIX?  I've only _needed_ it a
> couple of times and used Postgresql to do it.  Having it available
> simply would be useful and I would use it more.  Under postgres, I had a
> python CLI or dialog front-end.  Ask for a copy of the file (default to
> the most recent version) and you get a file to edit.  Post that file
> back to the system and it gets assigned a new version number that
> integrates it into the version tree.  I.e. if the current version was 3
> and I requested version 2 to edit, when posted it became version 2.1.
> The files existed in a directory in the user's home directory and it was
> up to the user to not go and edit a file directly.

Perhaps WebDAV and subversion will do the trick then?

IIRC webdav should be available somewhere as a fuse filesystem. So if
you set up a subversion server with mod_dav, mod_dav_fs and mod_dav_svn
and point your FUSE filesystem at it, it might just work?

Just my 2p.. (or 5 øre with the wrong exchange rate...)

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/