Re: can't center X display

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 04:06:11PM -0400, Steve Kleene wrote:
> On my Etch machine, I've tested the centering of the desktop under three
> conditions: running fvwm, gnome, or a VMware virtual machine in full-screen
> mode.  If I set up xorg.conf for 1600x1200, any of the displays is centered
> correctly (by luck, I guess).  If I set it up for 1280x1024, each is offset
> to the right.  I haven't figured out how to fix this but have tried a few
> things.

I have this same problem with a 1440x900 lcd monitor. at 1440x900 it
is offset to the right by about 1.5 inches. at 1280x720, its just fine.

> I called xvidtune, which promptly said that my video wasn't tunable.  Turns
> out that my Etch install had left me running the "vesa" video driver.  I
> changed xorg.conf to list the "i810" driver, which should be better for the
> Intel 82946GZ chipset on my onboard graphics card.  After that, xvidtune gave
> its usual display, but if I hit "Apply", even without changing any of the
> paremeters, it complained:
>
>   "You have requested a mode-line
>    That is not possible, or not supported by your configuration".

same problem...

> I also tried adding a ModeLine to xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         ModeLine     "1280x1024" 157.50 1280 1344 1504 1728 1024 1025 1028 1072
>
> This didn't cause any errors, even in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  However, changing
> the HSyncStart and HSyncEnd values in the ModeLine had no effect.  (I
> restarted X after each change.)

same problem. for some reason the intel drivers (I'm using sid so its
xserver-xorg-video-intel instead of -i810) will not let you do
this. Basically, it seems that X won't let you do anything that it
doesn't already want to do. I played around with modelines for long
time with absolutely zero effect. I think my monitor is reporting the
wrong information such that xorg won't let me set it properly. meh.

> I have not tried installing the i810 driver from Intel.  The instructions at
>
>   http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/install.html
>
> suggest that I might need some other modules (i810, drm, agpgart) loaded into
> into the kernel.  Lsmod showed none of those.  I tried loading them with
> insmod.  The first two loaded OK; the last complained that there was no
> /dev/agpgart.  Before proceeding any farther I decided to post the question.
>
> Any idea how to get the display centered at 1280x1024, with or without
> xvidtune?  Thanks.

nope, but I'm happy to try ideas and help work on it a bit.