Re: libneon25, or libneon26?

Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
Aptitude is clever. If nothing depends on libneon26, and it's not one of the packages that you specifically wanted installed, then it's a candidate for removal.

Sounds like you had something installed (at some point) that needed libneon26, but that "something" has been removed again. So aptitude tries to tidy up for you.
Is there any way to use what I have, or do I need to let aptitude downgrade libneon?

Unless you need libneon26 for something else outside the package management system (e.g. stuff you manually installed in /usr/local or /opt), I'd say to let aptitude do its thing. It's very good at keeping things tidy.
I understand how aptitude handles automatically installed packages. Since I have always used aptitude on this box my question, I suppose, is why is libneon26 still installed. When I uninstalled whatever was depending on it aptitude should have uninstalled libneon26 at that time. The only thing that I can see that SHOULD have created this situation would be if the previous OOo was compiled for libneon26 and the current OOo is compiled for libneon25. But I can't see why the maintainers would use an older library in a newer compile of OOo. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com