GRUB not loading kernel image

Hey list,

I came across a really pesky problem when installing Debian on one of
our servers today. An installation like any other, with our standard
setup:

* 3ware 9550SX-4LP RAID controller
* 2x Western Digital WD5000YS drives in RAID1

As this was only to be used for temporary storage, I didn't bother with
LVM on the disk array. I went with the following partition layout:

/dev/sda1 ext2 (50M)
/dev/sda2 swap (2G)
/dev/sda3 reiserfs (the rest)

The installation went fine. I installed GRUB as a boot loader, and
continued to reboot the server. However, after the GRUB loading screen
nothing happened.

GRUB echoes out its boot command list (like always), but hangs where it
should load the actual kernel image. I have done a few reboots, no luck.
I also tried mounting the partitions in a rescue shell using the Debian
CD, which works like a charm.

Since I do not get any specifics out of GRUB on what might cause the
trouble, I'm a little unsure on what I should do next to troubleshoot.

Any ideas?

Kernel version is 2.6.18.4.

Best regards,
--
Kim Christensen
"Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing."