Re: kernel 2.4 with debian etch?

On 06/28/2007 05:25 PM, Thomas Jollans wrote:
> On Thursday 28 June 2007, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Is it possible, and how?, to install the kernel 2.4 with Etch?  It seems
>> that I don't manage to install it typing `linux24' at boot from CDROM.
>
> Linux 2.4 is not part of etch. In other news, linux 2.4 is ancient and linux
> 2.6 works well ;-)

It's official, not just Thomas's opinion.  :)

Regards,
Ralph (still clueless on how to paste formatted text into icedove)

Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 -- Release Notes
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes

2.3. Major kernel-related changes
---------------------------------

     Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 ships with kernel version 2.6.18 for all
     architectures; the release is still mostly [1] compatible with 2.4
     kernels, but Debian no longer provides or supports 2.4 kernel
     packages.

     There have been major changes both in the kernel itself and in the
     packaging of the kernel for Debian.  Some of these changes complicate
     the upgrade procedure and can potentially result in problems while
     rebooting the system after the upgrade to etch.  This section gives an
     overview of the most important changes; potential issues and
     information on how to work around them is included in later chapters.

     If you are currently using a 2.4 kernel, you should read Section 5.2,
     `Upgrading to a 2.6 kernel' carefully.

[1]  Some individual packages may no longer work correctly with a 2.4
     kernel; see Section 5.1.2, `Some applications may no longer work with
     a 2.4 kernel'.