Re: emacs: too fast scroll speed when selecting region with mouse

Tyler Smith wrote:
On 2007-06-26, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
In emacs, if I start selecting a region in a buffer by clicking the left mouse button and dragging the mouse, the buffer scrolls extremely fast if the mouse moves beyond the lower end of the buffer window.
Any idea how to solve this one?

Not sure, but I'd try playing with larger values of mouse-scroll-delay:

mouse-scroll-delay is a variable defined in `mouse.el'.
Its value is 0.25

Documentation:
*The pause between scroll steps caused by mouse drags, in seconds.
If you drag the mouse beyond the edge of a window, Emacs scrolls the
window to bring the text beyond that edge into view, with a delay of
this many seconds between scroll steps.  Scrolling stops when you move
the mouse back into the window, or release the button.
This variable's value may be non-integral.
Setting this to zero causes Emacs to scroll as fast as it can.

You can customize this variable.

I tried various values. Looks like the first time I modify this variable, there is some improvement in the scrolling behavior, but then it just comes back to the same situation and no value of this variable seems to have any effect.

->HS