Re: Keyboard problem

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 12:13:58PM +0200, ullrich.schicke@bluecarat.de wrote:

> Background:
> Evaluating linux kernels for a series of machines with 16,32 and 128Mb.
> On all machines with have tested a linux kernel 2.4.26 (Damm Small Linux
> 3.1) successfully (including X) with minor problems.
> Switching to linux kernel 2.6.18 (Debian stable Etch) shows the same
> positive result with the exception described below:
>
> The problem:
> Booting a kernel 2.6.18 (actually Debian etch) on the 16Mb machines results
> in a not functional keyboard. The following excerpt from the dmesg log shows
> that a keyboard is found.

Its at least encouraging that you somehow got etch installed on a 16 mb
machine.  My 32MB 486 wouldn't upgrade so I transfered the drive to a
larger computer.  I found etch significantly slower; text-only non-fb
scrolling and cursor movement jerky, loading mc or lynx slow, etc.

OTOH, it flies very well with either OpenBSD or NetBSD.

Good luck,

Doug.