Re: RTF - proprietary or open?

Bob Proulx wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

Bob Proulx wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

They why was there a big flap when Unisys restricted use of GIF?

Unisys held a patent covering LZW compression.  Unisys did not create
the GIF format.  The GIF format was created by CompuServe.  Neither

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of all you state here.

You did not address my comment. The fact that a format is disclosed
does not mean that the holders of the design are not able to restrict
its use.

Sorry.  I did not catch the sarcasm in the what I now know to be
rhetorical question.

I was not being sarcastic, nor was I being rhetorical. People who
own copyrights and patents on file formats claim to be able to
restrict who and what uses them. IANAL, so I don't claim any
expertise in these matters. However, I can definitely point
you to places where Adobe for example asserts the right to restrict PDF,
both due to copyright and patent, and licenses it for use by people
and software under certain restrictions.

The fact that a format is disclosed does not prevent it from
being proprietary, AIUI. All patents require full disclosure.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.