Re: OT: Say NO to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

"Manon Metten" <manon.metten@gmail.com> writes:
Hi,

This urgent request was posted on users@openoffice.org by Hagar de l'Est
< hagar_de_lest@openoffice.org >.
Is not exactly Debian, but I think also of great importance for all of us.

Please sign the petition here: http://www.noooxml.org/petition.
(Cookies have to be enabled for this site.)

Thanks, Manon.

Whereas I can certainly applaud the effort, I think the author of the petition might want to get a native-English proof-reader to go over his site. For example:

on the petition itself:
"There is *no guarantee that anybody can write a software* that fully or partially implements the OOXML specification..." (emphasis in original).

I know a lot of people use the phrase "a software" to mean "a software application", but I don't believe it's a good usage.

Also:
"...such bugs affects..." should probably be "...such bugs affect...".

But for me, what felt the most amateurish was the red block on the "Start" page:, things like "then" for "than" and "...explain them why...". I don't mean to nitpick, but I do believe a professional image would be more effective.

I also saw no indication of what will be done with the petition; is it just going to sit there on the Intarweb pipes, or will it be sent to someone, or what?

I think his comment in the red box makes the most sense: "SENDING A NICE LETTER TO YOUR STANDARDISATION BODY IN YOUR COUNTRY IS MORE IMPORTANT THEN SIGNING THE PETITION".

--
Kent