Re: Using Debian Package Manager

russ421@aol.com:

> I just installed Debian.  I'm wondering about the Synaptic Package Manager.  As
> I've never used a GUI for Linux before, I will need to get used to how things
> work.

If you already have experience in using the command line, nothing stops
you from keeping to use it. In many cases, you need these skills anyway.

> I wanted to install a motherboard monitor.  I found one in the list, xmbmon,
> and chose to install it.  It said installation complete.  However, I have no
> idea how to find it and run it.  It's not showing up in the applications list
> anywhere.

This is probably a minor problem with the package. For some packages it
doesn't make sense to add a menu entry, others just install binaries
with unexpected names (which I think is the case with xmbmon).

Either way, whether icons are created or not doesn't depend on the
package manager you use. They all just unpack the .deb file and run some
scripts.

J.
--
I wish I looked more like a successful person even though I'm a loser.
[Agree]   [Disagree]