testing if Ubuntu deb file for ASCEND works in Debian....

Dear Debianists,

I have been working with an engineering modelling program called ASCEND. You can get it from sourceforge and it has a wikipedia page.

See:

http://ascendwiki.cheme.cmu.edu/

I have a version of it compiled on my AMD64 box here that works OK courtesy of the kind assistance of one of the developers, John Pye.

I have been distracted with stuff for a while but I am eventually going to try to make a deb file for Etch for the AMD64 version of ASCEND and distribute it.

I have read a few web pages on making deb files and I guess there will be a steep learning curve involved to get the deb file checked out and registered (or whatever happens to them) by the Debian community.

However, the developers have made an Ubuntu deb file and put on the sourceforge site where it can be downloaded. One of them suggested I try to get it to work under Debian Etch and see if it succeeds. I have a 32 bit machine at work (AMD Duron 1200 MHz) that is running the i386 version of Debian Etch 4.0 (r0) and I am going to try installing the deb file and see how it goes.....

I downloaded the deb file from the following link:

https://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=167528&filesize=4682680&filename=ascend_0.9.5.109-1feisty_i386.deb&36060585

There is also a deb file in there for Ubuntu Edgy that apparently uses the Debian sundials libraries... Maybe that one would be easier to install in Etch.....

The other dumb question I have is what do I do with the single deb file? Normally I read loads of them in from the installation DVD's I burn from the iso files released by hte developers.

I have never done anything with an isolated deb file like this before.

Can I do something like apt install /home/mikef/ascend/ascend_edgy.deb and it will work or is some other hocus pocus required?

Some useful information on building ASCEND in Ubuntu is here:

http://ascendwiki.cheme.cmu.edu/Building_ASCEND#Ubuntu_6.10

From looking at it I am not sure if all the dependent software will be
installed automatically, I think I will have to do some manual stuff as well.

Comments appreciated.

I guess if I can get one of these deb files to work it could also be billed as a "new" Etch deb file.

Regards

Michael Fothergill

Who's that on the Red Carpet? Play & win glamorous prizes. http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=REDCARPET_hotmailtextlink3