Re: Nvidia Card - nvidia driver or nv ?

I use nvidia drivers (legacy), with an old Nvidia Tnt 2.

When etch was testing, sometimes when legacy nvidia drivers were taken
out of testing, I had to use nv driver, and I didn't have any problem
at all, except for some screen savers, and some games.

On 6/25/07, Ralph Katz <ralph.katz@rcn.com> wrote:
On 06/24/2007 10:36 PM, Curt Howland wrote:
> On Sunday 24 June 2007, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> was heard to
> say:
>> I have a nvidia card, and I was wondering if I should be using the
>> nv driver or the nvidia driver. I don't do any thing flash, watch
>> movies with mplayer and some development work with eclipse and
>> firefox.  I do use the TV out on one of my machines.
>
>> Last time I checked the main difference was 3d acceleration, whats
>> the main difference now, should I be using nv for what I am doing ?
>
> I have two machines with Nvidia cards. I've tried the nv driver, and
> while it's perfectly adequate for general use, it won't drive the
> video resolution above 1024x768 (in my experience), and color depth
> is stuck at 16bits.

[...]

I'm using the nv driver on a 32 mb RIVA TNT2 graphics card, and it gives
me the full 1600 x 1200 the display handles at 24 bits.  I did try the
Nvidia binary at one point, but Nvidia dropped support for this card.

Also, the nv driver has a much smaller memory footprint than the
proprietary version, at least when I was using it.

Regards,
Ralph Katz