Re: how to exclude a package

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 12:45:26AM -0400, Jose Luis Rivas Contreras wrote:
Chuck Payne wrote:
Hi,

I got a problem, I am using cpanel it keeps replacing postfix with exim.
I like to know what is the simplest way to tell apt-get not to install
exim. I have try to google, but most of the stuff I am reading makes it
sound like you can't tell apt-get not to install app.
aptitude hold postfix

will that not prevent him from getting postfix updates?

so far as I know, postfix provides "mail-transport-agent" so if
postfix is installed, anything that depends on "mta" should be
happy. There may be something else going on there with some packages
in your install specifying exim instead of mta

Ok, what is happen is cpanel doesn't care that postfix is install, it replaces every time with exim every time it does it own update. I was hoping that there was a way to stop cpanel from replacing postfix by editing one of the apt conf files. That what going on guys. I am not doing the install. It's cpanel.