Re: network configuration issue - iptables

On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 08:35:09PM +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
> I have set up a network for our house using a gateway server with etch and
> two NICs, eth1 for the internal network and eth2 for the DSL modem.
>
> I set up iptables with firewall-builder and all seems OK, but I can only
> ever access the web interface on the DSL modem from the gateway server
> directly after downing the internal network on eth1.
>
> The modem's web interface is on 192.168.1.1 on eth2 and if I don't down
> eth1, the browser won't find it.

number your internal lan addresses in a different subnet. Use
192.168.2.x for your lan. Then, because the modem is on a different
subnet, it should "just work". At least in my lan it works that
way. My dsl modem is accessible as 192.168.0.1 while my lan is
192.168.1.x.

also, you can sometimes (depending on how its all configured) access
the modem by browsing to your *public ip* which resolves to your
modem, but since you're coming form the inside, it gives you the
configuration.

hth.