Re: Slightly annoyed question about Debian package system

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 10:35:54PM +0200, Dirk <noisyb@gmx.net> was heard to say:
> Is there any chance to find out in which package the start-stop-daemon
> is w/o reinstalling the whole debian distribution and hopeing that it
> will be installed automatically?

  If I understand your question, you don't have start-stop-daemon now,
right?

  In your particular case, if /sbin/start-stop-daemon doesn't exist,
your install is hosed: this is included in the package of dpkg, the
Debian package manager.  Try reinstalling dpkg and see if it fixes the
problem.

  In general, the procedure is:

  (1) install apt-file
  (2) run "apt-file update"