windows compatability issues with ftpd (wrong filenames sent)

I set up ftpd on my machine to easily trasfer the occational files to windows
systems (it's usually disabled for the security aware, only enabled inside
secure networks for the duration of the transfers)

The problem: the file names and directories appear under windows with their
time as part of the name (when browsing through windows explorer to my machine)
which makes it impossible to browse using explorer (I get the error that the
file doesn't exist). If I manually enter the correct file name things function
properly.

How do I change ftpd's behaviour to send the data in a windows compatible
method?

Thanks