Re: synchronize sendemail / cyrus / ftp / ssh password

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007, Till Wimmer wrote:

i'm running a server for several customers using cyrus/IMAP, sendmail,
apache2 and ssh.

I'm looking for a way to store all the passwords for them in _one_
database so i can manage them easily by a web interface.

By artifically tying the database concept to a GUI, you may
limit your choices severely.

My  solution was to store the passwords in a MySQL table.
Now the problem is that cyrus and sendmail use sasldb for
authentication, but ssh uses PAM.

I use LDAP for sendmail, apache2, sasl, pam, and dovecot (instead of
cyrus).

All non-system users are defined in ldap, and can logon to any machine
that happens to be replicating the database.

This is rather unsatisfying because libpam_mysql, libsasl2_modules_sql
and mod_auth_mysql (apache) all have quite different approaches /
ideologies.

Yes, even with LDAP there are a few things that make you go 'wtf?!?'

I had to store the passwords in plaintext because of the sasl interface,
but the new mod_auth_mysql will allow encrypted passwords only... that's
only one of the issues.

I have slapd store the passwords in crypt format - so normal shadow
services continue to work as before

Maybe somebody is using a similar configuration?

I'm a small shop, but found it easier to help others if I ran my setup
closer to theirs

--
Rick Nelson
That's the funniest thing I've ever heard and I will _not_ condone it.