Re: firefox slows system

On 6/18/07, Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk> wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:14:35 -0500
"Russell L. Harris" <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:

> Over the past few weeks, all the tasks on my desktop machine (Debian
> Etch, Gnome desktop, typically booted twice daily) have been getting
> ever more sluggish.
>
> I typically keep open several instances of Firefox/Iceweasel.  The
> utility "top" showed Firefox consuming most of the CPU cycles, even
> after I closed all the Firefox windows.
>
> After rebooting the machine, I started Epiphany instead of Firefox,
> and now it is like having a new, fast computer.  Other tasks
> (and specifically, latex) run much faster.
>
> Is there a fix for Firefox, or should I learn to like Epiphany?

The problem lies with Firefox itself. No there is no fix, it has just
grown to become a bloated peace of software. The problem is also very
known in the world of BSD.

The problem is with Firefox for Linux.  It's frustrating that the
Windows version of Firefox runs so much faster on the same hardware.